Monday, April 16, 2012

A Decade with Dogs

For years I couldn’t imagine what it would be like to have my very own dog. I filled my bedroom with many stuffed dogs, dog accessories, and even a purple dog crate to keep them in. I spent many hours on the internet researching breeds that were good for people with allergies. I found the poodle and fell in love with their curly hair.

Today I looked at the calendar and couldn’t believe that it was 10 years ago this past weekend we took a ride out to Mayfield, KY to look at a litter of poodle puppies. I had called a number we found in the paper and the breeder said she only had 2 males left. I hung up the phone and was disappointed as I wanted a little girl. My mom told me to call the breeder back and set up a time to “just go look”. When I walked into the breeder’s home she had a tiny chocolate puppy hanging in a grooming vest and was trimming his feet. At that moment I fell in love with his little chocolate self. Not to mention that he had one white paw which made him even more adorable. I told my mom I wanted him. The breeder had a price of $200 on him (she was going to keep him if he didn’t sell) and my mom said that either I could have the puppy or a Lee Middleton doll I had been wanting as an early birthday present. Well I decided that a puppy would be better than another doll and we came home with a little 12 week old Bobo. Thats where it all began!



When I first got Bobo I was a proud “Dog Owner”. I took care of him…with much help from my mom (Mollie and Bobo’s Grandma) and from Doggy Nanny. Over the years I transformed my life style to become a “Doggie Parent”. I never leave the house without the Doggy Bag, make sure they are fed on schedule (most of the time LOL), are fed a proper diet, have the best vet care, receive their medications, go on walks, have fun adventures, go shopping and most of all live with humans who love them for who they are! My schedule is made around my dogs so they don’t have to be left home alone. My mother (Mollie and Bobo’s Grandmother) and I split the errands that are not doggie friendly (where dogs are not allowed inside) so that one of us is home with them. And ya know what I wouldn’t have it any other way. My time is limited with our dogs and I want to spend as much time with them as I can.

Over the past decade I learned a lot about dogs. Such as how to administer medication, how to hide pills in cheese, how to teach an old dog new tricks, to have my camera handy at all times, how to sew dog dresses, how to make collars, the importance of a good veterinarian, what vaccines dogs need, if you have a well behaved dog you can shop most anywhere with them, free feeding equals free pooping, taking joy in the little things like a walk, the importance of quality kibble, that doggie carseats do save lives, that old dogs rock, and each moment spent with them is precious!


Now I can’t imagine my life without dogs.

We have had our ups and downs but it’s been a blast!

It’s truly a dog’s life and I am living it!

-Katie (the doggie momma)

11 comments:

  1. OMD OMD OMD.... this is the most beautiful precious post !!!

    HAPPY BELATED 10 YEAR GOTCHA DAY BOBO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! I wish I was able to spend more time with Milly and Shelby. They are home a good bit alone during the day when we are at work, but they seem to do ok because they have each other and are very close. Like you, it is important to me that they have only the best in life and live in a home with people who love them. My husband and I truly cherish our time with them because we know it is much shorter than we'd like!
    ~Maggie (MilShelb's Mom)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post! You said what I am sure many of your readers feel. Congrats on 10 years of being a dog momma.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, you looks fabulous on the second photos, I was hooked on your sweet smile :D

    Dog Shock Collar | Puppy & Human Bond

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on 10 years!! Great post!!

    ~Higgins

    ReplyDelete
  6. And you are the best poodle mama there is!
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful post Katie, you are such a brilliant dog Mom that's for sure. You only have to look at Mollie Jo smiling away to see how happy and content she is. Oh my stars wasn't Bobo the sweetest bundle of floof ever !
    Your furbabes never cease to put a smile on my face when I read what they are up to. Happy belated Gotcha day Bobo x x
    Love
    Momma Tea
    xxx xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a fabulous doggie mama!!! Congratulations on ten years with Bobo!!! Love that last picture!!! Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are spot on! My life centers around my dogs too and I wouldn't have it any other way. Congratulations on 10 wonderful years with Bobo. With the excellent care he receives I am sure he will be around for many more.

    Mango Momma

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with everone else..I just love to come here everyday and see how you treat your crew and the adventures that they have.!! In my next life, I really do want to come back as one of your puppies. What a life..
    Everyone thinking of getting a dog should come here and read how they should really be treated..Isnt it the coolest thing on earth to be lucky enough to be loved by a dog? Gotta go..theres something in my eyes..oh just tears...

    ReplyDelete

We are wagging with excitement that you stopped by our blog!